Name of programme:
PROGRAMME FOR THE PAVING, REHABILITATION, MODERNIZATION AND/OR ASPHALTING OF CLASSIFIED ROADS OF LOCAL INTEREST AND WATER SUPPLY OF VILLAGES, APPROVED BY GOVERNMENT DECISION NO. 577/1997 AS SUBSEQUENTLY AMENDED AND SUPPLEMENTED
- Government Decision no. 577/1997, as subsequently amended and supplemented by Government Decision no. 1256/2005, Government Decision no. 890/2006, Government Decision no. 279/2007 and the Detailed Rule implementing Government Decision 577/1997 approved by Order of the Ministry of Development, Public Works and Housing no. 612/26 July 2007, abrogating the Order of the Minister of Transports, Constructions and Tourism no. 2217/2005.
- Government Decision no. 1853/2006 – for external financing
- Law on the State Budget for 2007 no. 486/2006
The Ministry of Regional Development and Housing in collaboration with County and Local Councils.
The following sub-programmes are part of this programme:
1. SUB-PROGRAMME FOR PAVING, REHABILITATION, MODERNIZATION AND/OR ASPHALTING OF CLASSIFIED ROADS OF LOCAL INTEREST ACCORDING TO GOVERNMENT DECISION no. 577/1997, AS SUBSEQUENTLY AMENDED AND SUPPLEMENTED
- Government Decision no. 577/1997, as subsequently amended and supplemented by Government Decision no. 226/2003- external loan financing for 2004 and 2005, Government Decision no. 1256/2005, Government Decision no. 890/2006, Government Decision no. 279/2007 and the Detailed Rule implementing Government Decision 577/1997 approved by Order of the Ministry of Development, Public Works and Housing no. 612/26 July 2007, abrogating the Order of the Minister of Transports, Constructions and Tourism no. 2217/2005.
- Government Decision 1853/2006 – financing by external loan
- Law on the State Budget for 2007 no. 486/2006, including subsequent budgetary rectifications
Brief presentation: This Programme is the support granted by the Romanian state for equipping both the communes and the villages within their structure, and the villages belonging to towns and municipalities, as well as the periurban areas of towns and municipalities where road infrastructure works are executed on: county road sectors connecting commune residences and towns, municipalities and, as the case may be, economic objectives and tourist attractions located within the built-up area of rural localities, communal roads connecting communes and the main roads within communes.
As regards the main streets within communes, the following types of streets can be financed:
- streets ensuring the connection with county, national and express roads;
- streets facilitating people’s access to the important objectives within the commune, such as: public institutions, educational institutions, dispensary, church, cemetery, agro-zootechnical complexes, tourist attractions, monasteries.
The categories of works that can be financed within the Programme are:
- paving of classified roads of local interest of earth (that can be communal or county);
- asphalt lining on local interest, earth or paved roads,
- repair of linings on local interest roads which are paved, asphalted, with asphalt linings or degraded;
- arrangement of the crossroads with other roads, of road shoulders, correction of geometric items, execution of collector ditches and rainwater drain channels;
- building of bridges and culverts, abutment walls and slope consolidation.
New materials and/or agreed technologies ensuring reliable solutions both in terms of costs and of the operational quality may be used in line with relief, traffic, soil structure conditions and climate conditions.
The funds allocated from the State budget and from external loans are included and managed through the budget of the Ministry of Regional Development and Housing.
Beneficiaries: County and local councils that manage road sectors.
Purpose: Improving access roads in the rural area, which leads to the economic and social development of such areas, which results in the improvement of the quality of life in villages, in order to meet the European development requirements in the rural area.
- ensuring the paving, rehabilitation, modernization and/or asphalting of classified roads of local interest
- implementing the National Programme for Communal Roads’ Asphalting, as laid down in the Government Programme for the period 2005 to 2007
- works for initiation of the rehabilitation of approximately 2,100 km of communal roads and 1,700 county roads are taken into consideration for the period comprised between 2006 and 2009
- extending the population access possibilities to major roads and railways
- improving the transport conditions of persons and products by increasing the traffic speed of vehicles
- improving the supply of town markets with agricultural products
- facilitating emergency intervention in the rural area
Amount of the programme: Total estimated amount of the Programme – RON 6891.5 million
Financing sources: State budget, external loan, other financing sources: local budget of local authorities, sponsorships, population contribution, which is voluntary, may consist in labour or money and is established by local councils, further to the consultation of local communities.
- Amount of budget allocation in 2007 – RON 54.011 mil. according to the Law on the state budget for 2007 no. 486/2006
- Reimbursable external loan contracted under Government Decision no. 1853/2006 – EUR 30 million
For the period 2007 to 2009
Reimbursable external loan– EUR 160 million to be contracted under the Memorandum approved in the Government meeting of 26 January 2006.
Deadlines for submission of the applications for funds: No deadline is provided for the submission of applications. The requests to introduce roads for financing under the Programme are to be submitted by local councils to county councils, which establish the priority of works and their introduction on annual financing lists, according to: the allocations received from the Ministry of Development, Public Works and Housing, the works’ importance and the situation existing in the field.
Duration and performance stages:
- Multiannual programme: initiation in 1997;
- Further works: according to financial support, by budgetary allocations and external loans.
- paving, rehabilitation, modernization and/or asphalting of classified roads of local interest – approximately 140 km will be executed from the amount allocated from the state budget.
Contact: Name APOSTOIU CARMEN, Senior Advisor – Programme Coordinator, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. VILLAGE WATER SUPPLY SUB-PROGRAMME, IN ACCORDANCE WITH GOVERNMENT DECISION no. 577/1997, AS SUBSEQUENTLY AMENDED AND SUPPLEMENTED
GD no. 577/1997, with subsequently amendments and completions by GD no. 1256/2005, GD no. 890/2006
GD no. 1853/2006 – for financing from external loans
State Budget Law for 2009 no. 19/2009
Programme objective: The programme is aimed at introducing centralised water supply systems, in order to provide drinking water for about 2.5 million inhabitants in about 30% of Romania’s villages; ensuring the stringent needs for drinking water in rural areas; raising the community awareness on the necessity to use drinking water from supply sources in centralised system and educating the population on the rational use of the water sources; ensuring water supply sources for the entities involved in the development of rural localities; creating the basic conditions necessary for a decent life and revitalising some disfavoured areas; rationally managing and using the water sources.
Purpose: Improving life quality in villages, according to European standards
Total programme budget: The funds for the achievement of this programme are allocated yearly under the State Budget Law, in accordance with the financing requests from the County Councils.
Eligibility: The local councils are holders of contracts for the objects under their management. The lists with works portfolios shall be constituted yearly and shall be completed and/or amended, as the case may be, by nominations of the County Councils. The project selection is made on the basis of criteria established by authorities, mainly having in view the villages belonging to towns or periurban areas with big disfunctionalities in drinking water supply, the communes with a tourist and economic potential, as well as the provision of minimal rural infrastructure conditions in the poor communities.
Information on this programme may be requested from: The designated contact person – Panseluta Ionescu, Assessment and Examination Adviser within the Directorate-General for Public Works, Ministry of Regional Development and Housing, e-mail: email@example.com
Beneficiaries: The local councils are holders of contracts for the objects under their management.
Programme value: Total Programme estimated value – 505.769 mill. lei.
Financing sources: Stae budget, external credit, other financing sources: the local budget of the local authorities
For 2009: The value of budget allocation in 2009 – 250.0 mill. Lei;
The budget of the local authorities in 4 counties, in amount of 1,320 thousand lei
For 2007-2008: Reimbursable external credit, according to GD No.1853/2006 - 90 mill. euros
Deadlines for submitting financing applications: The lists with works portfolios shall be constituted yearly and shall be completed and/or amended, as the case may be, by nominations of the County Councils.
Duration and development stages: Multi-annual programme: start in 1997. Further on: depending on the financial support by budget allocations and external credits, until the introduction of centralised water supply systems in villages throughout the country.
Note: Prelimination for 2009 continued and new works in about 960 villages; commissioning of water supply systems in about 100 villages.